Friday, January 16, 2009

catharine stebbins



catharine stebbins images are poetic in the way they reference space. from her statement:

"Intuition and memory profoundly shaped my experience of place. The genesis of this series began on childhood vacations, as my family crisscrossed the west in our station wagon on long summer vacations. The view through the backseat window became my portal into a world of imagination and possibility, where time stood still as the vast open spaces slid by in stop motion, framed like natural dioramas. When we stopped, I’d climb out of the car, walk into the desert and sit where I could touch the rocks and feel the emptiness. The tiniest detail brought the limitless space into sharp focus, pushing me to discover what was happening ahead, hidden beyond the horizon; beautiful empty places that I knew could reveal secrets".